Thursday, December 13, 2012

Reflection of My Study Abroad Experience and Tips for Coming Home

Hey all!!

So I'm officially back in Hawai'i and couldn't be happier. after being gone for about 8 months, it feels good to be back in the swing of things ;)

Freeman Scholarship
First and foremost, I again have to thank the Freeman family for their generous scholarship. Without the Freeman scholarship, I definitely would not have been able to accomplish this study abroad journey. I encourage anyone reading this who is eligible for the scholarship to apply for it because it absolutely does wonders for you.

My Reflections
Going on study abroad really opens your eyes to the different cultures that there are in the world. Even though Singapore is a very developed country, and is similar to the States in many ways, the different cultures that exist there are interesting to observe. I really enjoyed seeing how different cultures celebrated holidays like the Indians with their festival of lights called "Deepavali" and the many other holidays that took place while I was there.

Overall, Singapore was a wonderful experience. I met plenty of new people, some of which have actually become some of my close friends which I will keep in touch with for many years to come.

I'll have to admit, before I went, and in the beginning of the exchange, I was really nervous because it was my first time out of the country and I haven't done much traveling. So I wasn't sure if this is something that I would be good at, or enjoy. But very soon after my arrival in Singapore, I realized that this is exactly what I was looking for in a new life experience and I want to travel as much as I can later on in the future, post graduation.

Tips for Coming Home
Okay, so I know most people are thinking "how hard is it to come home?" True, it's not that complicated, but there's little things that make the journey back a lot easier. First off, pack DAYS in advance.. start doing laundry asap because if you wait until last minute there will be a hostel full of students just like you who are trying to do laundry and it just gets messy..trust me. Second, try to pack as efficient as when you arrived there. I ended up having to use an extra piece of luggage because I didn't pack the same way as when i packed to go to Singapore.. plus I bought some stuff there and in Cambodia and didn't leave any extra space in my luggage for that when I was still in the States. Lastly, get ready for a huge case of jet lag when you get back. I came back on monday morning, and just now (thursday morning) am I on a semi regular sleep schedule where I'm not sleeping for 9 or 10 hours +. Also, you're immune system might need some help while you're traveling back, so load up on vitamin C and electrolytes so you don't get sick after you get back, like I did :/

Well, think that's it for this blog series!! thanks for reading guys, and again if anyone has any questions feel free to email me at isaac3@hawaii.edu

~Isaac

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home